Food is one of the most important things for human beings. We need food to sustain life as food provides nutrients that we need to grow and keep up our energy. Food is both a solid substance that can be consumed and in liquid form that we drink every day.
The term nutrition refers to the food an organism takes in for its growth and health. The nutrition process requires food intake and converting it into energy and other vital nutrients needed for life.
Nutrients are energy sources for the human body and are listed as fibers, carbohydrates, minerals, vitamins, fats, water, and proteins. Therefore, a perfectly balanced diet can be developed with proper food and nutrition, necessary for healthy living.
What does a Balanced Diet look like?
A balanced diet is a proportion of food from all food groups. A balanced diet provides all the nutrients a person requires with the correct calories.
Nutritionally balanced diet
- A person should eat 60-70% of carbohydrates in a meal due to its necessity or demand from our body.
- The remaining 10-12% of proteins and 20-25% of total calories from fat should be consumed.
- A nutritionally balanced diet is crucial because it keeps the body growing.
- Nutritional deficiency occurs in those who did not maintain a balanced diet and fall sick frequently.
Source: Balanced food
A balanced meal contains vegetables, meat, cereal, pulses, rice, beans, etc.
- A meal should include vegetables like broccoli which provides calcium, potassium, and fiber.
- An apple is an excellent source of antioxidants.
- Leafy green vegetables of vitamins, copper, and zinc.
- Sweet potatoes contain vitamin A and C, iron, and calcium. Avocados are also rich in vitamin K, B, E and have high-fat content.
- We should consume different ranges of nutrients to maintain a balanced diet.
- Humans need food to live and grow. It is also important to eat, consume and drink according to individual needs.
- Food should be consumed in the correct proportion to maintain a balanced diet.
- We should take all kinds of nutrients to keep our bodies healthy.
1. How important is eating nutritious food and having a balanced diet?
It is essential to eat nutritious food and have a balanced diet. It will keep our body stay fit and healthy. It will help us grow and give energy. Maintaining a balanced diet helps us have a robust immune system and defend against antibodies.
2. How do you balance your nutrition?
An individual should have balanced nutrition by consuming a certain amount of calories and nutrients from a different food group. A meal should not consist of a single food group and nutrient.
3. What are the 7 things you need for a balanced diet?
We need several nutrients to have a balanced diet. The seven things we need for a balanced diet are;
- Protein- Meat, fish, eggs.
- Carbohydrate- rice, fruits, dry beans.
- Fats- nuts, fish, oils.
- Vitamins- fruits and vegetables.
- Dietary fiber- cabbage, avocado.
- Minerals- flour, cereals, meat.
4. What should I eat every day?
A person should eat or consume the right proportion of food that the body demands. Food containing carbohydrates, protein, fats, and minerals in every meal. It should have a balanced form of all food groups.
5. What is glow food?
Glow food refers to the food group of vegetables and fruits rich in vitamins and minerals. It helps our skin, teeth, hair, and also our brain.E.g., broccoli, tomato, beans, carrot, apple, orange, guava, etc.
6. What is a healthy diet plan?
A healthy diet plan consists of a balanced diet and consumption with the correct proportions of food group in an alternative manner. E.g., Eating only meat every day is not the correct way to a nutritionally balanced diet plan. A diet should contain all or major food groups in every meal.
7. What are three groups of food?
The three food groups are proteins, carbohydrates, and vitamins.
- Proteins are good for bodybuilding. E.g., seafood.
- Carbohydrates are energy-giving food. E.g., rice and wheat
- Vitamins are protective food that helps our immune system. E.g., milk, pulses, and fruits.
8. How can I eat healthily every day?
A person should eat a balanced diet to keep the body fit and healthy. A food containing different food groups such as protein, vitamins, carbohydrates, fats, etc.
We hope you enjoyed studying this lesson and learned something cool about Food, Nutrition, and Balanced Eating! Join our Discord community to get any questions you may have answered and to engage with other students just like you! Don’t forget to download our App to experience our fun VR classrooms – we promise, it makes studying much more fun 😎
- How to manitain a balanced diet. https://www.narayanahealth.org/blog/how-to-maintain-a-balanced-diet/. Accessed 25 Nov, 2021.
- Food and Nutrients. https://flexbooks.ck12.org/cbook/ck-12-biology-flexbook-2.0/section/13.39/primary/lesson/food-and-nutrients-bio/. Accessed 25 Nov, 2021.
- Eating a balanced diet. https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/. Accessed 25 Nov, 2021.