The pitch of sound is determined by the frequency of vibration of the sound waves that produce them. A high frequency (e.g., 880 Hz) is seen as a high pitch, while a low frequency (e.g., 55 Hz) is regarded as a low pitch.
Low-frequency sounds include a bass drum, thunder, and a man’s deep voice. High-frequency sounds include a high-pitched whistle, squeak, and a child’s voice. The loudness or softness of a sound is measured in intensity.
HOW ARE PITCH AND FREQUENCY RELATED?
The frequency of a sound wave is linked to our perception of the pitch of that sound. Sound waves with a high frequency are perceived as high-pitched, while sound waves with a low frequency are seen as low-pitched.
FREQUENCY OF SOUND
Sound waves are measured in hertz (Hz), which is the number of waves that pass through a particular place in a second.
Sounds with a frequency of 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz are generally audible to humans.
Infrasound refers to sounds having frequencies less than 20 hertz.
Humans cannot hear infrasound because it is too low-pitched.
Ultrasound refers to sounds with frequencies greater than 20,000 hertz. Humans cannot hear ultrasound because it is too high-pitched.
Other species are capable of hearing noises in the ultrasonic spectrum.
Dogs, for example, can detect sounds with frequencies of up to 50,000 Hz.
You may have seen special whistles that dogs can hear but not humans.
Whistles make noises that are too high in frequency for the human ear to detect.
Even higher-frequency sounds are audible to other animals. Bats can detect sounds with frequencies exceeding 100,000 Hz.
PITCH OF SOUND
- Pitch is the quality of sound that distinguishes an acute (or strident) note from a grave or flat note.
- In music, the phrase ‘pitch’ is the frequently used.
- It is determined by the sound wave’s frequency.
- A higher frequency note has a higher pitch than a lower frequency note.
- This is determined by the frequency of the waves’ vibrations.
- The sound is harsh and has a high pitch if the frequency of vibration is higher.
- On the other hand, if a sound is described to have a lower pitch, it means that it vibrates at a lower frequency.
- Pitch is influenced by changes in frequency. The shrillness of the sound increases as the frequency rises.
- The pitch of sounds is determined by the frequency of vibration of the sound waves that produce them.
- Sound waves with a high frequency produce high-pitched noises, whereas sound waves with a low frequency produce low-pitched sounds.
- Pitch is a sound property that distinguishes between harsh and flat sounds.
- Pitch is unaffected by the amount of energy received by the ear per unit of time.
Q. What is the frequency and pitch in sound?
A frequency’s sensation is generally referred to as a sound’s pitch. A high-frequency sound wave corresponds to a high pitch sound, whereas a low-frequency sound wave corresponds to a low pitch sound.
Q. How frequency and pitch are related?
The frequency of a sound wave is linked to our perception of the pitch of that sound.
Q. How do frequency and pitch affect the sound?
The higher the pitch of the sound we hear, the higher the frequency waves oscillate.
Q. Explain the term ‘pitch’ of a sound. On what factor does the ‘pitch’ of a sound depend?
The frequency of a sound determines its pitch. Because the pitch of a sound is directly proportional to its frequency, low-frequency sounds are described as having a low pitch, while high-frequency sounds are described as having a high pitch.
We hope you enjoyed studying this lesson and learned something cool about the Frequency and Pitch of Sound! Join our Discord community to get any questions you may have answered and to engage with other students just like you! We promise, it makes studying much more fun!😎
- Pitch and Loudness of Sound: https://byjus.com/physics/loudness-of-sound/** **Accessed 14th April 2022.
- Frequency and Pitch of Sound: https://flexbooks.ck12.org/cbook/ck-12-physics-flexbook-2.0/section/12.4/primary/lesson/frequency-and-pitch-of-sound-ms-ps/ Accessed 14th April 2022.